About Me

My photo
Hola, and welcome to my blog! I am Ana, an 19-year-old, first generation Mexican-American who is a sophomore at MIT. I will be pursuing an engineering major in aeronautics and astronautics, perhaps with an energy minor, but who knows what I'll end up doing in the long run! My interests are diverse and my propensity to find new goals is exceedingly strong. (And I have found it to be much more of a blessing than a curse.) I, in a very brief nutshell, like practicing mon Francais, I stress-release by running, adore listening to music, love playing the trumpet (particularly enjoying jazzy tunes), and, generally speaking, am very enthusiastic about the world. Hopefully you appreciate walking along beside me through these blog posts as I share my experiences as a Latina in college! Don't be afraid to comment/ ask me any questions :)

Monday, May 9, 2011

AP Tests: Advanced Procrastination?

It's now the second week of May, and there's one thing on the horizon of every Advanced Placement (AP) student's mind: AP TESTING.

Every year, millions of students take these exams on a wide selection of subject areas, ranging from Computer Science to Mandarin Chinese, hoping to get a high score so as to get college credit for it.

Advanced Placement Exams are taken to indicate the level of mastery a student has attained at a college-level subject during high school. They are comparable to ACT and SAT tests, except they focus on a specific subject.

It's a joke among AP students to call it "Advanced Procrastination," because students who take several of them tend to have quite an intensive, long list of assignments to complete. In reality though, these tests might allow you to skip a few introductory classes once you get to college, saving you not only time, but money as well!

If you're choosing your high school classes for next year, consider taking an AP Class if it is available. If you know which college you're planning on attending, check to see which tests they give credit for and base your decision on what tests you want to take on that. You can find this information on your college's website or here.

You know it's the beginning of May when my room looks like this.
My favorite review books include Barron's and The Princeton Review.
If your high school does not offer a class you would REALLY like to get out of the way in college, you can simply sign up for the test and prepare on your own or via internet. There are a lot of online classes you could take that would help you prepare for it.

In addition, you could get a review book from a local bookstore or even your library! These books have great review information and include practice and diagnostic tests to help you gage what you need to study and how well you'll do on the exam.


The way the College Board scores the exams varies from which subject you are taking, but they are all scored on a scale of 1-5. While some colleges give credit for 3s, others may take credit only if you receive a 5. Other colleges still, may not take credit for any of these exams if at all!

Either way, it is encouraged to take AP Classes because they are more challenging and demonstrate that you are passionate about learning. Oftentimes, it is more impressive to colleges if you get a B in an AP Class than if you completely ACE a regular one.

The whole point, in my opinion, for these classes (or preparing for the tests if your school does not offer them) is to stimulate your mind and offer you a great challenge that will prepare you for the future. Even though I may not receive credit for all of my AP classes I've ever taken, I know that they've definitely helped me develop as a more mature and responsible student!

I must say that you should not overwhelm yourself, though! Only you know what you can handle-- don't take 8 AP classes all in one year just because it "looks good". Remember: your education is in your hands, and it is up to you to make the best of it! Enjoy the challenge and know that there's always room to grow.

Have fun choosing your schedule next year!
Ana

If you are now anxiously pondering about whether you should take an AP Class, check out:

1 comment:

  1. Awesome suggestions Ana, thanks for sharing them! Would you mind telling us what you think make the difference for you as a student to be accepted at MIT?

    ReplyDelete